NET Discipleship Teams participate in NET’s fuller mission to challenge young Catholics, through relational ministry, to follow Christ and embrace a life of community in the Church. Discipleship Teams carry out this mission through evangelistic outreach, life-changing discipleship, and Christian witness. It is not our purpose to replace, substitute, or fill the void of active ministry programs in a community.
“An evangelizing community knows the Lord has taken the initiative, he has loved us first, and therefore we can move forward, boldly take the initiative, go out to others, seek those who have fallen away, stand at the crossroads and welcome the outcast.” (Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium, 24)
- A NET Team builds bridges between young people and the community
- Missionaries engage youth in their daily lives
- Missionaries constantly extend invitations to young people
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.” (Matthew 28:19)
- Missionaries mentor young people one-on-one
- Missionaries form and run small groups for peer-to-peer faith sharing
- Missionaries teach young people to establish a habit of daily prayer
“Modern man listens more willingly to witnesses than to teachers, and if he does listen to teachers, it is because they are witnesses.” (Evangelii Nuntiandi, 41)
- NET Missionaries model lives of discipleship for young people
- Host Home Ministry exposes the entire community to the team
- Missionaries are equipped to share their personal testimonies
Ultimately, the impact of a NET Discipleship Team varies from community to community. In an average year, each discipleship team will have around 5,000 interactions with around 500 different young people. Some of the other potential impacts a team can have on a community include:
- By the second year, a NET Team has the potential to hold around 70 Discipleship groups and around 300 Discipleship 1-on-1s with young people who have encountered Christ and are committed to walking with missionaries in a journey of intentional discipleship.
- At the end of three years in a community, a NET Team will have conducted approximately 2,000 intentional one-on-one conversations with young people.
Communities with NET Discipleship Teams have seen teens who convert to Catholicism, parents who convert back to the faith, young people who go on to serve as missionaries, families who pray together, and an increased number of young people who are open to discerning a religious vocation.
What Others Are Saying
- “The discipleship teams have made a lasting impact on our youth and community. The team’s witness of an authentic life as Disciples of Christ have not only taught the youth more about the Catholic faith, but have introduced them to Jesus Himself.” -Matthew C., Youth Minister
- “The NET Team has helped me through some difficult situations in my life. I can’t thank you guys enough for what you do; for listening, for teaching, for being great people. You guys have impacted this community and me very positively. You’ve inspired a generation, as well as inspiring me to grow in faith and charity.” -Young Person, Jasper, IN
Interested in a Discipleship Team?
Contact the Discipleship Team Director, Lynn Mayer, at email@example.com or by phone at 651.450.6833x135.